Choose a Safe Deposit Box instead of a Home Safe.
Why Safe Deposit Boxes are better than Home Safes:
- Owning a home safe can make you a target.
- Safes are only fire-resistant not fire proof. Data, media, family photos are vulnerable.
- Home insurance may not cover all safe contents. Insurance claim deductibles and claims can increase policy cost.
- Banks offer much more security
What Belongs in a Safe Deposit Box?
- Birth and adoption certificates
- Social Security cards
- Deeds and titles
- Stock and Bond certificates
- Military service records
- Digital media (hard drives, tape back-ups, CD/DVDs, flash drives)
- Investment records
- Insurance policies
- Loan documents
- Will (not the only copy)
- Household possessions inventory
- Marriage and Death certificates
Ask about discounted rates!
Talk to your banker about how to receive discounted rates on Safe Deposit Boxes.
- At our Chicago offices, safe deposit box rentals are also subject to a City of Chicago sales tax.
- Delinquency charge accrues monthly after 30 days.
- Contents of Safe Deposit Boxes are not insured against loss by Republic Bank of Chicago or FDIC insurance.